Monday, October 6, 2008

this really hit me.

so I'm reading a Patrick Stump interview, and he says this..
"When you write to what people want, that means that your only goal is to try to and--I mean, why do you want to please people so much? Probably to make money off of it or something, there's some ulterior motive, right?"

just write what you think is good. who gives a fuck about how people judge it. good music is stuff that comes from your heart. if that element's not there, it's just a bunch of crap. be original. explore uncharted territory.

with a lot of the up and coming bands in the indie/pop punk/rock/whateveryouwanttocallit scene, I think there's kind of a slump. in my opinion, bands are just writing what they think will get a good response. this may not be necesarily true, because I don't personally know these people or know what they go through while writing their music. that's just what it seems like from a listener's point of view. the truly great bands are the ones who are willing to go against all odds and put out stuff that they are proud of, stuff that they can look back on in 10 or so years and be like "wow, I'm really proud I can say I wrote that." if bands don't venture far from what's typical, how can they expect to make any progress?

I don't know, just an opinion...

No comments: